Now that's true blast (or rather: eeek!) from the past!
A while back I decided to participate Oldhammer Weekend 2026 in for coming this October. The last time I was there it was fun - nice people, almost no powergamers (for the love of f#ck...🙄), nice colorful tables and armies - more-less like straight from oldie White Dwarf magazine. True candy store for each and every Middlehammer fan.
Oldhammer 2022 was cool event, but quickly I realised why I quit all that Warhammer (Herohammer) shit: 'cause it was shitty game. I mean the fluff was cool and models were really nice (my taste) but because all that overboosted characters, powergaming army list and other crap there was no fun. I came back mostly because of nostalgy and aesthetic factor - large armies look just fucking brilliant on battlefield. That's it.
And nothing changed by now but last year somehow I've managed to paint whole Chaos Warriors army of Slaanesh (once again - for display case only), and wanted to see them in action even once. In 2025 I even prepared entries for painting contest but life issues didn't allow me to participate, so this time I am going just not to "waste" that paint work.
There will be Warhammer Fantasy campaign but there also will be Necromunda based miniature/RPG session which I definitelly don't wanna miss. The plan is to play using total underdogs, and what can me more pathetic in Necomunda world then Ratskin brave? 😁
There will be Warhammer Fantasy campaign but there also will be Necromunda based miniature/RPG session which I definitelly don't wanna miss. The plan is to play using total underdogs, and what can me more pathetic in Necomunda world then Ratskin brave? 😁
As for models looks like I got them in 2013 but somehow until now only 2 or 3 of them got paintjob. No idea why really - models are really cool but we dropped Necromunda gaming long time ago so my guess is the painting was aimed to models used on table: Bolt Action mostly. So I need a single brave for my RPG character, but since the whole gang is ~15 rats strong (eeek! eeek! eeek!) I decided get the all done. These are can be used also in other games but most important - should look really nice in display case. Models painted earlier were washed off so they all keep same painting standard and color palette.
As usually in case of painting warband / squad / unit ratmen were painted in groups - 3 models at once. Somehow every time I try to paint more models at once the painting quality drops drastically. Here I am half-pleased: the first group got too bright flesh tone, I like much more the other trio - more like native Indian. Plus the varnish turned out kinda satin instead of matt, so when whole group is finished I might wash them off and paint again. So here's current progress:
The rat-pack:
As usually in case of painting warband / squad / unit ratmen were painted in groups - 3 models at once. Somehow every time I try to paint more models at once the painting quality drops drastically. Here I am half-pleased: the first group got too bright flesh tone, I like much more the other trio - more like native Indian. Plus the varnish turned out kinda satin instead of matt, so when whole group is finished I might wash them off and paint again. So here's current progress:
The rat-pack:
The boys about to face deadly Copplestone's Scavengers:
And here - Scarab Lord Chaosmorph is about to have some mouse-burgers:
The last one - sump riot squad supported by killa-kan (war-bot that is...) about to arrest some squeeking punks:
Hope to bring abother 6 rat-men next time! Eeeek! Eeeek!
They look great - well done! I have to say the current version of Necromunda is pretty good (or at least the 2023 version, I haven't played the 2026 version yet). I agree for the most part the old Herohammer era games are not great - but they are better than the current versions, I think. I consider writing my own rules, or using a modified version of Midgard or similar but I'm not sure it would be worth it as my gaming group is happy playing what they play. I still need to find some people to get my Bolt Action/Chain of Command project happening.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you!
DeleteBolt Action is much more "player friendly" game then whole that Herohammer nonsense. But when it omes to looking good - no Bolt Action army can beat candyness of maching 2000-pts strong force od Slaanesh... '😛
Fantastic original Ratmen, like the skintone you've achieved and variation makes it more natural.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
DeleteYeah, tried to make these degenerates pretty "believable". Hope to see them in action some day 🐀
Man, these look so cool! Ah, the memories! I really love them. I hope they give you good momentos on the board! Make sure to take pics of the Event!
ReplyDeleteHope so! 😁
DeleteAnother rat-man has left painting dest this very morning so there's a chance to see whole bunch of vermin soon!