Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Time travellers

This time it's retro style post: 
two travellers crossed time and space to materialize painted in my glass case.

The first one is Mishima samurai from Warzone game.
This specific model is one of those with which the game started here. After we dropped gaming Warzone the toy was just getting dust badly painted in my buddy's attic. I got it like three years ago, washed the paint off and put into very long line for painting.

And the last weekend I finally managed to get my very first original Mishima model painted.
Because I have lots of heart for those old toys I decided to keep color scheme as close to original as I could provide. Don't think there's a big chance to play full scale Warzone (old or new) match here so some of these veterans will serve as mecenaries / independent characters or Necromunda gangers replacement.



The other one is nearly same age sculpt (1995 or 1996) but I got is few day ago together with Capitol army book: dark huntsman from Algeroth's team of evil doers. 
I remember when we were still into the game the model was somehow unavailable (too bad, because that unit had really nasty special rules) so it's really cool to add it to my collection painted. As for the paintjob there was no official photo so I had some ideas to choose from:

1. Basic idea was to paint it classic badass colors - that means black rags with some red pieces (Algeroth after all).  But then I realised I don't want a ninja armed with assault rifle in the team: too more black - too boring.
2. Another concept was to paint the uniform ordinary military colors but to show it's evil origin I wanted to give the flesh unnatural tone: like extremly unhealthy pale, demonic red or deep black - like D'n'D dark elves.
3. The final thing was to paint him looking like a pro: dark huntsman is skilled assassin after all so the decision was made to just give the model Capitol styled uniform (perfect for my gaming board) and fine shape kratach assault rifle. I can still attach silencer to the weapon to make whole piece fit original fluff better. I am also thinking about applying some war paint on the face - in the rulebook there was pic of heretic with simple red pattern along eye line. Pretty simple which usually means - pretty effective.

I am glad I got it and that it's finished - it took me a single, long afternoon which is quite achievement considering my pathetic painting efficiency this year. 
And last one too. 
And 2012...
Pictures were taken using the trusty post-apo background but also using section from the gaming board. The modules still require finishing (details, pigments, stuff like that) but after like 2 years* since I dropped first set of battlefield junk into the cellar the project is nearly done. Cannot wait to bring it to the very end and never come back to the matter. There's lots of hobby things I learnt during the work and I am sure I could built it better and faster if I ever had to to it again. Nevermind: here's Algeroth's finest killer:






And the last thing for now.
It's not news anymore but it's something seriously fucked my fragile world:
Rik Mayall died.

When I read the news my first thought was the guy was just making some sick fuc*ing joke but he wasn't. Don't get me wrong: I don't like public moaning about passed celebrities (of giving FB "likes" under information someone has just kicked the bucket, that's just sick!) but it turned out Rik Mayall was the very first actor who's demise really touched me.

I remember when I saw Bottom series on local tv (when I was like 15-16 years old?).
I was totally shocked and just sunked into bad english humor within seconds. I still cannot believe that local station decided to launch Bottom.

I also remember my daily routine from few years back when I was launching 1-2 Bottom episodes just after coming back from work. Having meal while watching these two degenerates was priceless.
There was much more Rik in the tv shows: Young ones, Black adder, New statesman... It's great lots of these are easy to get. The memory for the great actor will be preserved.

Farewell Richard Richard!
Try not to piss god off with too many dirty jokes!


See you soon!

*or probably even more

4 comments:

  1. That Warzone Samurai looks great! Love the colour scheme and paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate :)

    It's strongly based on old "official" Mishima color scheme. I want to paint few more models this way - they look very striking on the battlefield.

    Which makes undead legionnaires target practice bit easier... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, painted table! So huge and cool, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks but there's still LOTS of job to be done.
    Oh well, it's good to have a reason to leave bed in the morning ;)

    ReplyDelete