Sunday, November 4, 2018

Great Unclean One

Hey all,

As mentioned before I was working on Great Unclean One model before moving back to Bolt Action stuff and here's the result.

Must say I am very glad to see the big fella painted and crossed off the list but the result you can see below is not what I've been initially expecting. Almost not all.

I've always loved this model - I remember seeing it in the flesh for the first time like 8-10 years ago (?) - that one was painted by Ana from Chest of Colors group. I was simply stunned both by sculpt and painting quality. IIRC that piece was contest model. On that moment I knew I'll get and paint that demon some day.

So I got the model like 1,5 year ago but couldn't find enough strength to start working on it 'till now. It's just fucking huge and packed with details. Sweet, nasty details...
Not mentioning the fact I cannot really see it performing on the game table since I am pretty far from any sort of fantasy gaming nowadays. Although it should be great candidate for mission objective in skirmish games or for RPG - to visualize the final battle between group of goodie adventurers and arch evil thing from the last chater of the campaign scenario.

I had some ideas for painting:
first I wanted to paint it pale, white-ish maybe, so the guts and dark blood contrast strongly with the flesh. Then I wanted to paint it "fleshy" - kinda like more-less healthy skin with lots of fresh, bleeding wounds. But in the end I chose old and quite boring "green zombie" scheme.
The reason is there're some vehicles for US army waiting for painting and I needed to test some unused greens and oil washes (black blisters).

It's good to have another "painting goals" crossed off the list, if would be even better to give the piece amount of attention it really deserves. Oh well - maybe in the next life.   




If there anyone unaware of true size of the model - comparsion shot.
I think anti-tank gun would be better choice than medium machine guns... ^^


And since I've failed to capitalize painted Sherman the time has come to repaint and upgrade it yet before next game...

9 comments:

  1. Dammit, that's a wonderful paintjob! Hideous and scary, it really transmits the sense of decay and terror. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate!

    Yeah, the guy looks like in serious need of solid bar of soap ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice daemon, well painted Demi. Bravo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Always especially satisfying to finish painting those large models

    ReplyDelete
  5. True.

    Although these models are just supercool when finished, painting such a large, well detailed surface might turn out quite discouraging: it takes lot of time and character to finish such beasts properly.
    I could spend much, much more time painting blisters, wounds etc on this one but life ain't long enough so that's just as much as I can give to Papa Nurgle ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disgustingly amazing! That pale color on all the wounds is nauseating ;) And with that skin color he could easily find himself one day in a very weird, alternate history WW2 game, on the american side! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like what you've done here - I've got one of these guys in the queue, but I wanted to finish a lot of the smaller Nurgley stuff on the way there, so naturally, I've stalled out completely. Your job on this guy really makes me want to get back to work on the Nurgle stuff. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Borgnine: hehe, true! On the last pic sgt. Unclean is probably giving final commands to his soliders! ^^

    @Azazel: thanks and good luck then!
    Between you and me - I also prefer painting smaller stuff much more. Waiting to see some result on such a large piece is just pain in the ass...

    ReplyDelete