Saturday, September 18, 2021

Blood Bowl rat ogre

Eeek! Eeek! 🐭

As mentioned after finishing ogre mercenary clubber I was considering starting Blood Bowl team and there's quite a big chance it's going to be Skaven team. Although I've played the game only once, I deeply believe I can play any game as long as I like the models. 

And those stinky, eeking, sneaky creatures are just so damn cool...

But before purchasing any new model (skaven or any other) I decided to paint a test piece just to see what can I achieve to support the Blood Bowl league. Few years back I got pair of placcy rat ogres. These were supposed to be base for some sci-fi conversion, but it turned out I hated these plastic crap so much they both landed on the top of Pile of Shame. 

Until last week, when one of these has been excavated...

Not sure this one's going to become a player, but I am sure I wanted to test some colors planned for the team. Skaven are pretty dirty (and stinky...) creatures so to provide some contrast I picked white for clohing and yellow for armour. That should look pretty effective worn by gray-ish creature standing on green grass.

At first I wanted tu use static grass applicator - haven't tried adding static grass on normal size base yet, but it turned out it got broken during last moving. Started digging in the hobby box and found some old modelling flock. It's really old - I guess I got it like 10-15 years ago? 

It's nothing like static grass, but looks just fine as Blood Bowl field.
Add green base edge to this and we're back into 90's again! 🥳

I am pretty pleased about this test piece. Apart the fact generally I hate plastic models I could use is for gaming. Looking at the pics and model in th flesh there's something missing. Some strong, focal point. I was thinking about some fresh blood on the claw or on bandages (or on both) or maybe some reddish dirt around bandages. 
I'll think about it - there's no need to be hasty while painting miniatures.






9 comments:

  1. It does honestly have that plastic model look about it.. but your paint job completely redeems it. The sickly flesh contrasted with the rusty pseudo-industrial attachments? Perfect Skaven. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers fellas! 🤗

    @Allison: yeah, that piece smells plastic from a mile!
    Plastic and sewers...
    Anyway the rest of Skaven football team will be pure metal for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent paintjob as always ^^

    The green base gives a little "vintage" ambiant ^^

    Serviteur,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      With that green edge - what You mentioned was exactly the idea 😊😉

      Delete
  4. The paintjob is far too good for 90's (I love the rusty and crackled metallics), but the edge of the base works just like a time machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, cheers!

      Either it's goblin green or it ain't 90's! 😁

      Delete