Saturday, March 9, 2024

Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Foliescu"

I definitely needed a break after dealing with zombie dragon, and there's no better break from painting stuff from cutie fantasy range then visitig dirty fronts of World War II. A while back I had a chat with Propylene Foliescu about designing and producing models from WW2 range and long story short I got test print of new Hetzer tank destroyer to paint.

It's actually the third Hetzer I've been working on (the previous one was painted for my never-to-be-started-Hungarian-army) but one is pretty unique. I don't mean some casting flaws (it's test print as mentioned before) but it's 1/50 scale instead of 1/56 used in Bolt Action. That means it's sligtly larger and beacause of this it's just brilliant. Until now I didn't ralize how much underscaled official Bolt Action models really are. So much, I'd surely consider switching models I have to 1/50 scale - If I only had too much time and $ to waste.

I was asked to paint it historically accurate. Sadly I am only "gaming" painter, so what you can see below it's another modest attempt to paint winter camouflage. Must admit I had lots of fun painting ambush camo and then covering it with white paint. Working on models is usually messy but you can see results pretty quickly so it's just very motivating.

So here it is. Looking forward to see more Foliescu's stuff on the painting desk sometimes:






And some scale-comparison pics - Italeri's "official" version is significantly smaller:


5 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed. I know there are a lot of people who think 1/48 scale is better for 28mm wargaming than 1/56 and I think they're probably right because 28mm wargaming figures are generally overscale being a lot chunkier than real humans would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Although I've seen some 1/48 models which appeared kinda as much overscaled as underscaled is scale 1/56.
    Anyway I prefer working on larger vehicles:
    more tank = more fun! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, great job! We had seen some digital sculptures by Foliescu recently on the web, but then admiring a painted piece is a completely different thing. We are not experts in military vehicles, but your painting seems historically accurate to us and the snow and ice effect is very realistic.
    The panzer appears strange to us, because we were used to seeing a turret on the top.
    As regards the scale, a distinction must certainly be made between gaming and model miniatures, but we also prefer that the larger pieces are not so obviously underscaled compared to the human figure. By the way, is your 1/50 panzer perhaps still a little underscaled compared to the miniatures you photographed next to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegancka robota, aż mam ochotę zagrać w Bolta :)
    Coloured Dust

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rodor: Cheers! Foliescu truly makes supercool stuff with hist kung-3D-designing-fu and hope to slap some paint on the infantry when I get some spare time.
    As for the model's size - I believe it still might be underscaled, on the other hand I don't think I've ever seen Hetzer in the flesh so I could stand next to it and take a photo 😉

    @ARBAL: Dzięki 😊 Samą grę generalnie polecam - z moich obserwacji wynika, że jest na większym luzie niż Młotek 😉

    ReplyDelete