Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Black Sunshine (Gaslands)

Gripping the wheel his knuckles went white with desire
The wheels of his Mustang Exploding on the highway like a slug from a 45
True death
400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night 
This is Black Sunshine.

After having the first test game of our home-made post apocalyptic system, neo-soviets were sent back to barracks for recovery. While waiting for rules upgrade, I was browsing FB looking for idea for the next paintjob and then I spotted some Carmageddon / Mad Max cars. Turned out these were warbands for Gaslands game. I haven't seen that before but after checking the rules the game seemed to be intersting enough to make me paint the model 😎

The game uses customized Matchbox / Hot Wheels cars. Luckly for me my son left his old Hot Wheels Corvette at my place, and since he's now totally into video games, decision was made to give the model new life. 

To get it prepared for the carnage, I got North Star's Gasland conversion kit. There are lots of really cool parts like machine guns, harpoon, dozer blades, engine upgrades and such. 
At first I wanted to add as much junk as possible on the model, but then I thought I don't want to make it look like some some stupid WH40K vehicle.
So in the end I only added extra exhausts, engine block upgrade (whatever the hell it really is - I know sh!t about cars, except how to drive) and replaced fronc and sice screens with mesh. That makes car look pretty cool and yet credible.

At first I wanted to paint it bright - like white body with blue stripes. On such basecoat chipped paint would look just great. But then good friend of mine said: "Paint it graphite!".
Didn't like the idea but then I recalled Death Proof and Black Sunshine badass cars and decided to give it a go. Must admit the final effect is better then I expected - silver scratches plus bright dust provide nice contrast. I added some metallic paint to the mixture but it's barely seen now under 3 layers of matt varnish (Revell run out so I had to use Vallejo Air).

So here's the beast. 
The model behind is out of scalebut it's just perfect candidate for post-apo road warrior 💀




Obviously it's the Devil's engine... 😈


And the freshly stripped model with some add-ons:


And this is for all those who haven't heared White Zombie's masterpiece...

5 comments:

  1. Ohh, nice repurposing of the car! I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys!
    Yeah, giving new use to old junk is double fun! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grunging up Hot Wheels is a lot of fun... I don't play Gaslands but I've definitely made some fun models like this. But this is VERY cool wiht that dusty mate finish and cool skull insignia. I agree that "less is more" so it's good you didn't add a dozer blade or flamethrowers to it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've almost added dozer blade!
    I've already cut it off but didn't find proper way to attach it because of "beak" bumper 😁

    ReplyDelete