Sunday, January 7, 2024

M1A1 light howitzer

I took quite a long time since my G.I.s got howitzer support, so it was good idea to restore another second hand miniature. Model below was purchased a while agobut when it arrived I realised there was a part missing: gunners left palm holding the rod. Back days had some plans how to repair it but all in all it was put into string bag and forgotten.

Until now.

I found the piece last week and decision was made to cross if off the list of shame. I had some spare bits after painting winter infantry squad so the gunner got his missing palm. Also decided to replace original metal heads with placcy ones. These are great btw.

Colors were chosen to fit "summer" part of the army, Must admit whole force painted with green tones looks just just great especially if placed on fully finished game table. I think problem with painting US army is sth similar to painting skaven or goblin fantasy army: painting basically everything brown or green is just damn boring but when it's done - final result was worthy effort.

So here they are: 45 pts worth light artillery ready to stop nazi offensive. The third guy was placed on separate base so it's easier to mark the casaulty. I did similar thing with medium machine gun team a while back. Which reminds me I must start fielding this thing...

Bits on the base (crate and oil drum) come from Warpainter online store (I got other really cool stuff from this producer back days). Sadly the site is suspended for a while now - looking forward to be re-launched, because there were some WW2 Hungarian army vehicles which I'd love to slap some paint on...




4 comments:

  1. Excellent restoration work - your additions and modifications fit perfectly into the original piece.
    A feature that does not attract us in painting historical miniatures of recent armies is precisely the uniformity of the uniforms (excuse the pun). At least the skaven or goblins, despite the boringness of the fur/skin, have the decency to have mostly improvised clothing and equipment... 😆
    However, if the colours of the US soldiers are monotonous, you managed to give personality to this unit with the scenic elements, which make it a small diorama. Which game is it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate!
    To makes infantry models different I try to give different tones of clothes - them look really nice mixed alltogether 😉

    And these models are for Bolt Action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, sir!
    At this moment I am taking a break from WW2 stuff (trying to get my sh!t together and paint zombie dragon) but also hope to see Hetzer tank destroyer any time soon 😎

    ReplyDelete