Tuesday, December 26, 2023

M8 Scott "Bushmaster"

I didn't think I might get anything painted yet in 2023 but I guess that only means miniature painters must fight to the very end on hobby front. This little cutie is actually accidental paintwork. Last months our small Bolt Action community got 2 more recruits so I am trying to get my ass back into gaming. After preparing new section of forest I was asked about playing game from Normandy selector. Personally Normandy war theatre for me is as good as any other as long as I have proper models and here I can provide my G.I.s with M8 Scott Howitzer Motor Carriage - which is just really cool looking model.

I've painted such thing before at the beginning of COVID isolation 3 years ago but don't think it was ever tested in proper gaming. Besides shortly after it was turned into Easter gift for my son (when I was still hoping to infect him with miniatures hobby). 
Anyway he got it almost 3 years ago and I got it back maybe 1,5 year ago? That was pretty sad experience for me: not only he turned it back but also model was kinda ruined. They were having some renovation at home and whole model was covered with thick layer of plaser powder or something. Model was fucked - definitely wasn't display piece anymore. 

The piece has been starring at me all that time until I decided to get my shit together and make it useful once again. The paint has been washed off so the howitzer could support Americans fighting against zee Germanz in Normandy. M8 Scott is nice and simple model. US models were painted just olive so getting it done didn't take much time. Despite that some shading, decals and weathering can make any model look interesing and believable. 

Did my best trying NOT to get into weathering frenzy again. Hope my trusty G.I.s can make proper use of this thing kicking German army out of Normandy sector: 







7 comments:

  1. Very effective repainting of this military vehicle, with the right amount of weathering. Compared to the soldiers, is the scale of the vehicle different, or was it really that small?
    I too (R) noticed that the hobby of miniatures is very subjective and often others have a very different vision of those little toys with which you spend (or waste, depending on points of view) so much time. I'm still struggling to keep my daughter D's attention for the hobby, but it's not always easy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rodor.

      As for the size it's well known problem - vehicles in Bolt Action are simply underscaled 😒

      Glad to know other painters have similar view on the hobby matter - I kinda dropped indoctrinating my first born. After all painting requires patience and character and these are's something you can get by clicking smartphone screen or something.

      Happy new year anyway 🥳

      Delete
    2. Eh... Figures/models in a game are really just tokens showing where things are. If they're the wrong size... It's just a matter of how it looks. Which I agree is a bit odd here... but at least they're all well painted 😁. Maybe these guys were just issued a chibi howitzer 😄

      Delete
    3. Chibi... 🤔

      I'll keep that in mind while planning next Bolt Action purchase 😁

      Delete
  2. Well done - very nice vehicle. I agree the vehicles are underscale compared to the soldiers, 1/48 may be a better option? Happy New YEar anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An impressive production in the last few days of December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate!

      Yeah, kinda impressive keeping in mind my pathetic painting during last years 😉
      Deeply hope to get my shit together in 2024 to cross some more models off the list instead of just whining in the webspace 😋

      All the very best to you in 2024 - especially in the hobby matter!!!

      Delete