Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Dasyatis clone (Rackham)

"Only a Syhar could concieve them..."

I still cannot get myself to start painting US army stuff although one more nasty mortar is something my trusty Bolt Action force would definitely benefit from...

That was bad news. Good news is one more model from fantasy range left the painting station and once more it's Rackham beauty:
Dasyatis clone from  Alchemists of Dirz faction.

Back days (when Rackham was still alive...) painted models from this range were making my jaw drop every time I was looking at whole that georgeous NMM and freehands (check Trovarion's stuff for example). Obviously I didn't try to match or beat Rackham's vision of this faction but rather have some fun. The model is quite unique for what I usually deal with because it's mostly bare flesh and it's alive ^^

So the idea was to make it look rather warm than dead, and standing on bright, striking base. At first I was quite scared of painting huge amount of flesh but all in all oil washes and patient glazing were more than helpful. I don't have many occasions to paint fresh blood on my minis but this one was definitely worthy few drops of Tamya's Clear Red.
The sculpt is totally badass!!!

As mentioned before next time I hope to paint something from Bolt Action range once again:
while painting recent Rackham stuff I got some ideas about painting US uniforms which requires testing. If that works I might wanna refresh and repaint the basic infantry so about 30 them might hit the black market shortly...









4 comments:

  1. Always loved the clones. In fact, Rackham was had in Confrontation the pretty cousin of FASA's Crucible as concept were something else but sculpts and paintjobs were on par.

    Glad to see ol' good Tamiya. Mine dried aeons ago. It's really well applied on the blade and cloth having a hint of green works really well will that warm skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard about Crucible...
    It's actually another piece of wargaming history you brought up to me. From FASA range all I know is Battletech box from like 25 years ago ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary! Wow, I love how you worked on textures, that's truly excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers!

    This model is one of those which actually help you while painting:
    all those tasty details etc.
    I mean: my basic rule is when the model is sealed - it's done, I put it away and don't work with it anymore but if I had to spend couple more hours painting this one where's still SO much to do:
    that flesh gives lots of glazing possibilities!

    Damn, maybe one day I can find and paint another one...

    ReplyDelete