Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Renault FT 17

Heya,

This time it's a real treat for me:
the first print of WWII french tank Renault FT 17 from brand new company: Warpainter.

It was supposed to become the first model in the coming French army for Bolt Action, but after realising such force would be based on ~70 infantrymen, I'm not that extatic anymore...

Anyway I got the tank and decided to have some fun painting it, it's quite unusual model after all (imo equally weirdo to Mark IV monstrocity). 
As for the quality I am quite impressed: I've been working on 2 or 3 printed models so far and this one definitely has best quality of details - well done Mr. Second! ;-)

I like the resin used for printing: filing and polishing it is really easy, easier than working on plastic models I guess. Tank comes in 5 parts: main body, turret, 2 tracks and "the tail": all you really need to get it assembled is some sandpaper and few drops of superglue. 
For easier transportation I put magnet in the turret so I can take it off for the journey 
(or even more probably: to place there smoke marker, after it's wasted...)

So here's the painted model.
Tried to keep it similar to original paintjob and it was actually going really smooth until I put jar of mud on the desk: getting dirty is just so much fun I barely could stop myself from getting it even more weathered...
Camo pattern was painted using masks made of Patafix (Blu Tac). Haven't used it before but I'm quite sure I'll give it another try - most probably to repaint my brother's Hetzer
Results are quite promising.

Hope you like the piece and new photo background.
Must say I like it bit more than hobby desk mess ^^







War golf cart compared to something better known (and more reliable):


And the source of for color choice: huzzah for Wikipedia!


Take care! o/

4 comments:

  1. Nice paint on this tiny toy, even if the sand color is a little too yellow for my taste.

    For Bolt Action, don't think it's a tank : it's a mobile MMG, with a cost of 35pts for a regular FT17, as the infantry MMG is 50pts for a regular one.
    If you want a real tank, you must play a Somua S35.

    And as a French man, and playing French in Bolt Action, I will take a close look on your project (and it's nice to see another company making such nice toys).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the color, here is just a link to the pic of the FT17 of the french tank museum in Saumur : https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/f1/b8/ea/musee-des-blindes.jpg

      But otherwise, nice job (as always) !

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for the tip!
    I was thinking about something heavier than this battle golf cart, but it's hard to resist using all army's special rules and 15-16 dice for 1000 pts... ;-)

    ReplyDelete