Monday, March 22, 2021

Carnifex (Warhammer 40000)

Apparently I must be really fed up with winter, COVID and life in general, because my painting got pretty weird and colorful recently
And if pink Autoblinda was weird even for my standards, that Carnifex is just acid! ðŸĪŠ

Acid or not - I like the final result: good acid... 
So is the model: it's true eyecatcher in my mostly monotone display case. 
In fact I wanted to paint this model for quite a long time. In my opinion it's one of the coolest piece from old Tyranids line:
massive, menacing, fu#king badass! Not even mentioning that cutie-cutie mouth! ðŸĪ—

I had some ideas for painting the thing but after spotting some rainbow crabs photos decision was made to follow the path of Slaanesh. Which actually brought the model pretty close to the official paintwork from the 90's.

The model is big and colorful so I gave it bright, beach base for stronger contrast. 
To present the scale I added tank turret from M4 Sherman tank (parts from proper 40k vehicles run out long time ago - most of them were used for DagonMjolner and Beast 666). Fluffwise I imagine if leaving the nest / den / whatever is where these bastards live, to examine what emerged from the ocean of sand: 
there still might be some meaty snack inside after all! Told you it's cute! ðŸĨ°

The base is pretty large, but the model definitely deserves it. Not mentioning the fact it prevents if from falling, during the heat of battle (I really hate fixing chipped paint). I got the base with M2A1 howitzer - it was too large for medium  artillery piece (didn't fit ruins and buildings) but it's perfect for self-respecting alien creature.

So here it is, hope you like it:







After uploading the pics I see the bone parts are way too clean and flat - they are getting additional layer of wash and pigments for stronger contrast. I also realised I run out of gloss varnish / water effect - it should be used on underbelly and mouth - crabs (and cosmic crabs in particular!) should these areas  seem to be wet. 
Added to the list...

11 comments:

  1. That's amazing!!! Beautiful work, man. And on one of my favorite models, no less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @tucznik: Bah! 😎
    @Unknown: Thanks dude! Agree totally: you ge twice as much fun painting if the model has some character 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though it looks like starving, I wouldn't mind give him some cuddles. Like the psychedelics' colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all!

    It was really nice experience painting something warm after olive green everywhere. Next stop:
    something pink and heavy... 😈

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! I really like your palette, nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iconic model, often hated by hobbyists but from my side it's fine :) You made a great paintjob on it, Bravo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you flatterers! ðŸĪ—

    😁

    ReplyDelete