Saturday, December 23, 2023

Big forest

After dealing with some Warhammer Fantasy puppies and repainting Bolt Action winter G.I. squad decision was made to improve game table a bit. Some time ago I've managed to assemble small piece of forest, but after using it for over 2 years I've realised I want something bigger. For 2 reasons:

1. It provides more tactical options during the game.
2. Decently made terrain feartures look great on battlefield and on photos, which is double important if you are planning posting battle report. Especially when it comes to Bolt Action.

This piece was made more less same way as the previous one. I wanted it to be useful for gaming purposes so you can remove trees to move even large units or models inside (tanks,  warbeasts or whatever). It's pretty large terrain feature (~24" x ~18") so decision was made to cut it with a path, so units can cross it this way without penalty. Otherwise this thing would be just a line blocker most of the time probably.

I wasnt's sure about final result when I started working on these Heki trees (they still are pretty fragile despie all the varnish I sprayed over it) but I really like the final result. This is the first wood / forest piece I've ever had which shows the scale of models staggering around ^^ 
There's an empty space in the middle so I'm going to add another tree to make it look pretty thick from above of from a distance. I should have enough materials for another 6 ot 7 "trees strong" piece of wood so sooner or later my game table shoud get even more dense.

So here're the piccies:

Below - column of US vehicles crossing cutting the forest:



Most of trees are removable so any model can easily get inside:


Even such big as Mercurian Maculator!!! 


Cat is banned from entering the forest but it's ok for showing the scale.:


And some pics from the gaming bunker. Looking at this now I am sure I want another one! ^^
If anyone's interested those sweet buildings come from Black Grom Studio. And since we're here - big thanks to Andrzej from Terrains4Gamers for ideas and actually encouraging me to give this project a shot. You can surely call youself godfather of this piece! 😁





Cannot wait to test this piece in combat!

7 comments:

  1. Great forest! The trees are realistic and at the same time suitable for the game, as shown by your miniatures that walk the terrain. We already imagine ambushes in the clearing or manhunt among the trees...
    The only enormous (!) problem is keeping the cat out of the forest: as you know, these supernatural beings know very well what the most precious and delicate things are, and therefore they regularly turn them into their litter box or a bed for sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!
      Last night I found him trying to dig in my flock box. Luckly he didn't leave any terrain feature inside for me 😁

      Delete
  2. Wow, man! That's so cool! Really weel designed and built. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - it took some planning but I'm glad I didn't go on any shortcuts on this one 😉
      And since we're here - all the very best in the coming 2024 - waiting to see even more of your painting projects!

      Delete
  3. Świetny, epicki las, w zasadzie kładziesz go na stół i sam zaczyna opowiadać jakąś historię. I ta modularność! Jedyne co mnie zastanawia - nie myślałeś, żeby miejsca na drzewa pociągnąć zieloną farbą?
    A skoro pojawiła się małpa Algerotha, to mała prywata - prośba o odpowiedź na pytanie w poniższym komentarzu do posta o niej: https://demimorgana.blogspot.com/2020/09/mercurian-maculator.html?showComment=1702423262961#c5815817467355139227

    ReplyDelete
  4. Modularny las? Ciekawe rozwiązanie. Dobrze wygląda.
    Osobiście jak robię to wklejam w podstawkę wszystkie drzewa na stałe i robię kilka wolno stojących :)

    ReplyDelete