Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Egrimm van Horstmann - finished! (let's say...)

"When Egrimm van Horstmann was ordained as Grand Magister of the Order of Light he was acclaimed as the youngest and most gifted wizard to rule over a magical order. As he knelt down and swore allegiance to the Emperor, no-one guessed that his loyalty had already been given over to another, far more sinister master.

As an Apprentice Chanter of the ritual bound Order of Light Wizards he served under Master Chanter Alric, the Saviour of Apesto, who taught him many of the order's ancient secrets. But all the time he served the Order of Light, Horstmann prayed to the gods of Chaos for the power to defeat his peers. His progress was rapid. By day he studied Light Magic, and by night he pored over ancient manuscripts devoted to the lore of the Chaos gods. Daemons of Tzeentch whispered their timeless secrets into his sleeping mind and Egrimm's evil powers waxed strong..."

So it looks like I can finally cross another painting goals off my short list:  
one of my favorite models ever is now considered painted therefore it's sealed and placed in the comfy glass sarcophagus.

All in all I am very happy to know I won't have to fu*k with it anymore but just like in case of my beloved zombie dragon I know I should've spent some more time on finishing the beast. It's the thing I hate the most in such models: they have tons of character, they were sculpted the way I like the most (~5th ed Warhammer) but they are also nightmare to finish properly:
- assembling is pain in the ass
- manipulating is pain in the ass
- there's lots of surface to paint so waiting for the result is (for a change) - pain in the ass.

Apparently I am just way too lazy git to give such models paintjobs they truly deserve nevertheless I felt stings of remorse painting the dragon the fast, just to take it away from the desk. There was much more fun painting marauders, the sorcerer and minis fighing in the tunnel below. And this is another reason to bitch about:
once again I was trying to make model tell the story. The idea was to show ye corrupted Olde Worlde where mighty servants of Chaos march proudly through Empire of men, and even very guts of Earth are being consumed by chaotic ratmen.

Now watching at the piece I think I should've probably dropped the tunnel idea, even tho I had some fun making it the dragon is just too tall now. Oh well, at least I tested sculpting mushrooms and spinning spiderwebs - these should be more than useful on the next big (dark and necro...) thing I am planning.

So with no more babbling:
here's the official, minblowing paintjob...

Egrimm van Horstmann

Here's the sarcophagus...
 


And here's the piece itself.
Oh yeah, taking the pics was also pain in the ass! ;)
Hope you like it!
 


















7 comments:

  1. I used to hate the old bendy dragons, but now that GW has gone into plastic overdrive, I can see the charm these old figures have. Your paint job is really nice, I can understand completely that feeling of "just get it done and off my desk". It is a bit tall, you're not wrong there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure i ever noticed it had two heads before! Lovely job, the colour choices are spot on and the flunkies add a 'about to enter battle' feel to whole thing. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys!

    @Forgey:as for the size I couldn't stop: first the banner, then the base - big dragon deserves everything else big as well ^^
    Totally agree about placcies from EE: for me old, metal stuff were the models, what we get now is just toys.

    @collin: glad you like it mate!
    I was actually trying to paint it Slaanesh way - such a classic model looks fine wearing any colors I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers!

    Next thing posted is going to be something standing on much bigger base, wet and Great Old Ones related... ^(;,;)^

    ReplyDelete
  5. great paintjob! i love the scenic base, mini diorama's are always cool. also, yes the banner makes it looks tall but it's the from the 90's so it needs at least one huge ass banner!

    after some long searching i managed to get a von horstmann on a local ad site and came along your blog while googling for inspiration (imho yours is the nicest von horstmann on the net atm), thinking 'how hard can it be' but you're absoltutly right, i guess i forgot how heavy metal those old models were, and you cannot paint it in pieces becuase huge greenstuff absorbing chasms

    but by now it stands finished on my painting area, and it was worth it! (if allowed) link https://goo.gl/photos/CtH5HdwiTgmXSUPF8

    keep on painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot mate,

    I've seen your model too - so we both know what a pain in the ass manipulating sucha beast is.
    I also wanted to get and paint oldie orc shaman on wyvern, but still didn't manage to get rid od post-horstmann trauma ;-)

    ReplyDelete